20200812

Mike James


My Given Name is Mike

I’m making a list of new names for me
I ask strangers for suggestions
I give them my card
It contains my chosen scent and my vital statistics
It asks them to fill in a blank

Almost everyone smiles when they read it
No one has burned a card in front of me
No one assumes I am a phoenix
That the remnants of a burning could make eyeliner
That the name on the blank could be Ash



Mike James lives right outside Nashville, Tennessee. His most recent poetry collections include: Red Dirt Souvenir Shop (Analog Submissions), Journeyman’s Suitcase (Luchador), Parades (Alien Buddha), Jumping Drawbridges in Technicolor (Blue Horse), First-Hand Accounts from Made-Up Places (Stubborn Mule), Crows in the Jukebox (Bottom Dog), My Favorite Houseguest (FutureCycle), and Peddler’s Blues (Main Street Rag.) He currently serves as an associate editor of Unbroken.
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home