20220323

Sabine Miller


Half-fruits


Of Mentors and Cabbage Whites

He said the only thing he feared was a blank canvas; it was hard for him to give straight answers; he showed me the limestone quarry and the white peacocks; many people tended his avocado groves; we played word games at the family table; the quarry was a scaled-up pointillist landscape; he spoke in riddles; the quarry was a scaled-up pointillist abstract; I fear I will paint a tumbleweed instead of a pine cone; I fear my woods look like window dressing; cabbage white wings can be used for sun spots in the absence of skill; I paste them to a transparent medium; the vodka helped him be not afraid; he used the hue of his eyes; he wanted my friend to pose for him; I was a Scylla in his path; he used his memory and imagination; he painted her sitting on a half-column; the cabbage white chiton was trimmed to the waist; the sky behind her was eye-blue; she looked at me from the top of our stairs; he smiled constantly; I fear the last stroke more than the blank canvas; that freak snow took the avocado trees; a hurricane took the roof from his studio; the groves are filled with imported fruit; the quarry is gone; each painting was made of many dots; I will wait until tomorrow to do the last pine cone; it’s delicate.




His Purple Landscape

Some say they see poetry in my paintings, I see only science” — Seurat

I want to walk back through those hills that are also a songline of dusk: each dot contains many dots; each dot is topographical; the dots are small cairns of color; each cairn is the palate of a Seurat parasol but stacked; each is a composition in itself; adjacent dots vary the scheme until it shimmers; I see them in hard focus now: the shorter wavelengths flee the horizon to tint the quarry dust; the particles cling and settle before night.




Half-fruits
for James Humble (1941-2021)

Our driveway was long and wild; no one came for Halloween; we played with language; we had no religion but music; the duff was deep in the grove; the dog dreamed down squirrels; the squirrels ate half of each fruit; the dog was put down; the way was narrowed in this way;

it widened in each of our wildernesses; you could wade in the grove; we buried the dog in the duff; the squirrels dreamed her up the drive; we had no religion but travel; movement is holy;

the tiles are cool on the threshold; the painter sits at the table; the dog runs the distance; the painter feeds the dog; half-fruits ripen as duff; half-fruits are falling; it’s a long way but shorter today; it’s worth the trip to say hello.






Sabine Miller's chapbook, Branch to Finch, is available through Ornithopter Press. She lives in all the warmest parts of the US.
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

1 Comments:

Blogger Jack Galmitz said...

Your visual art is beautiful, Sabine.
I love the loose use of a grid and the evolving shapes based on a paradigm.
You've just opened it up and developed this skill.

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home