20211116

Nathan Whiting



 












Nathan Whiting has been a poet, dancer, ultra-distance runner, illustrator, listener to the most contemporary music and a student of new trends in mathematics. Yet, it is the greater number of things he has failed at, which make him a poet who has published books and appeared in magazines.

He writes: "These are not so much a campaign against minimalism, as a way to bring wider connections to life’s complexity, using arrows and structures which become new skills poetry readers may acquire for a widened interest. Here, our identities become where we can go, no longer merely who we "are”. The poems may seem difficult, but I work towards ways for them to enter a larger awareness and become familiar. It takes time and sharing for a new poetry to find notice and an audience who can receive the sympathy offered. For such poems even to survive remains difficult. I want a newness, not cynical, angry or deconstructive attention, but adventures towards new ways of writing. People should not feel they are behind what I am doing, but approach the work from their own intuition, from the multiple ways they can venture. Before a lovely, new fashion, comes a slippery floor on which homely new shapes and meanings must dance. I enjoy writing these and constantly learn how they can go outward and inward where thoughts find unity and satisfaction. I invite all to join me in this practice. I have had not one comment on this work in almost two years — people will risk nothing."
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You told me once that maybe I should practice heart meditation and I had no clue how to. That was before the age of email and internet.
These poems are from and beyond the heart. I am deeply intrigued, Nathan.
How wonderful the many moments we shared with our trio never meant to fully embark.
I am happy I found you,
Suzanne

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home