20211209

Les Wicks


Flashpoint

For me the only change I could effect
was going undercover.
Have been so many personas, most to little effect, but
the Authorities want results, even on public holidays.

Have wondered occasionally why I still have a job
when only gaolers seem secure in their vocation.
To work is to live
though neither work or living is the point.
I’ve seen myself as busy,
though actually lazy like a lip across
some drowsy blues harmonica.

Aspire to be as real as chocolate
though this summer I’ve melted, the goo
gets into that harmonica
you say the music sounds great 
but what would you know
sitting there in an imaginary crowd
thinking you’re real 
thinking I am too.



Step-by-step

There is no quiet left
so speak up!

It’s going to cost you,
saving that tiny thing.

In a big fat city, that remnant ecosystem.
This hot, thirsty world.

You’ll maybe spend your life
but you can afford it

because lives are oversupplied,
they clutter the world.

& one thing saved, well…



Les Wicks has toured widely and seen publication in over 400 different magazines, anthologies & newspapers across 35 countries in 15 languages. His 15th book of poetry is Time Taken – New & Selected (Puncher & Wattmann, 2022).

http://leswicks.tripod.com/lw.htm
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home