20220703

Lynn Strongin


MEDITATION on CANON & SWANS FILL MORE SPICE JARS FOR the one you love
“Abide no Hatred” “I sleep by my vellums” LIKE THE BLUE BOWL, somewhere in the line of life things will dissolve Loss Like waiting at a defunct railroad station Will stab us. Stay us In the moment Like great grandmother’s bone corset. Hold us like a ritual cup of tea Dissolve like mist De mesmerized. Realize the blue bow will dissolve in the mist of all we touch, love, know, approach like a slow-moving train: thru glass, see!   HOLD THE CAMERA steady Lens capturing cityscape Including canon & swans. Generational gaps Difficult conversations with elders. People are absurd, part of the joy of taking photographs Gate-keeping. Street photographer. You are good, to still take care of me: old, a fuzzy haired Colette Even though Rome was a malarial swamp, we regarded modern Roma. holding the mic, SO HIGH I AM afraid to come down But storm comes & goes Reassuring as my childhood memory of organdy curtains. Sashed in our west side city apartment. We overlooked water towers, a touch for us of Camelot. We practiced duets. Before supper. A lot. Hunger drove us Plowed the way for evenings. This the saving connection. * I never held the bowl of mother’s ashes in my hands. Small as a large lightbulb The kind we plugged into ceilings. The iron too Was true to life. Two kids and one woman: the graceful three. We lived in strife, an occasional high so rife with sadness, a laced boot, that I feared coming down. My sadness runs mountain-stream-deep. Honey you love her, let her sleep.   SUNDAY’S THE DAY I ASSEMBLE my little pills, she tells me I take notes A story Printed For clarity. Balm serves other purposes like script: the calm pen moving over glossy paper like oil dot over glass. Changes at the cellular level, radioactive tracers are another can of worms: harm does exist At time. I rhyme the day away My dream world gathers me Like pine needles, for the next long stay. HONEY, YOU LOVE her so let her sleep It’s like having the jazz stopping, Your putting the dampers on. The Labrador puppy. Eagerness Fades. The beat drops, the haze worsens. The world goes dark when you write you are too busy for me. No closed circuit, no partitions for me. Bathed openly. Door ajar. Even with a lover, one wants privacy. . . . Rope thinning, lichen white fur: well I’ve been waiting my whole life to hold you. You gotta hold on Protecting what is left. The heft Light. But the long night! Honey I let her sleep because I love her, and only her.   SYNCOPATION Everybody protects their own. My own? My body , my bone I give up on this life on earth. With the charm of one addicted? To what? Now there is a reversal. Take me outside In the sun to hide Will this time never end I thought in the hospital as a child Looking into briars, the wild crematory-type ash spewing from the incinerator. Karen my cubicle-mate died. I wanted to follow her.   ANNE;ISA in a canal house which began three hundred years ago where warehouses were on the water: her father had bought the building for his business. Childhood; no fuel do you give me anymore. Only fear. “Annexes” were built in the back: space at a premium: this let more light in. When we come to the end of time, will we find you? I am iron-ore descending to the furnace. Art in a dark time: hand imprint in wax. Smudged wall An unexpected reprieve Will it come. . .the tarmac extends far as eye After the blue, we drive the lens forward, the projector always playing at the back of the eye.   HONEY I LET You sleep because I love you Among swans & canons. Stars, bees, poppies by the rainspout. This is Dante’s anniversary: once what was heaven is now hell. Since we are both hurting, my nun suggests I go into the hospital. The final days of Mississippi’s last abortion clinic. Wearing my big Jackie Onassis glasses, Calls might roll over from the Jackson clinic To the new one being set up in New Mexico. Outside, a protestor holds a rubber baby fetus. What is left? To us? You sleep, honey, because I love you among swans, canons & the wharf’s almost beautiful rust.   SWAN, CANON I am hiding things Always Hovering over the harm Long as the day My right arm Put my hair up, love. It is long, a French twist, or braid. All the beauty parlors in my mind Close; time to talk Tudor Hiding the hovering fear of age Defamation Of tenderness goes on all over the world. Be with me, my swan, my canon.   THIS TOO will pass This will pass thru me, this white-hot pain Thread thru needle. Cauterizing day Will become Sedating night. I will sleep by my vellums; Not the first time But after votives gutter The sting of wax guttering, Voice lowering, ink glosses, jet, stars hum, bees combed in crystals boxed again.   YOUR TABLE’S ready, they just told my sister To sister. Over. I have the fifteen-minute bell in place of curtains. If tears could bend, they’d be sweat That blue-blacks at night. Applause too bends. Paralysis too has Its curtain. At the end of a lifetime. Meanwhile vellum Takes the train to the stage; over to you, breathless soul tight-lunged, waiting in the wings.   FROM SAVANNAH to wild horses, You cannot catch us, Our love, our steely resolve. Am I walking a thin wire, gray thread Pearly magnolia Saltwater marshes. Sister writes I have so much life to live. I tell you, sister, today the burden weighs heavy Iron Old leather Abide no hatred; savannah to wild horses. Blood; Rustles with the redbird in the knitted heat, wheat south of my childhood.
A Pulitzer Prize nominee several years ago for SPECTRAL FREEDOM, Lynn Strongin has been nominated five times for the Pushcart Prize, and this year for the Lambda Award. Received an NEA creative writing grant in New Mexico in the seventies. Studied with Denise Levertov, Robert Duncan, and others.

Strongin’s work has been featured recently in UK’s "Poetry Kit" as well as winning second poetry prize in ART4US, in DC, for "Flowers Swallowing Bees." Mike Maggio said of it: "This poem uses language and imagery in new and fresh ways. Language flows across the page almost like the bees it evokes. . ." She has been featured in Brett Alan Sander’s blog with her cycles "A Wondrous Thing" and "Saturday Afternoon Taffetas." A chapbook, SLOW DARK FILM, was recently published by Right Hand Pointing.
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home