20061222

Keith Kumasen Abbott


In The Eastern Market Washington D.C.

Famished late one evening, I cruise the market with Lani, scouting for something to eat for dinner. Finally spot a turkey ham that looks good. I ask for some and the counterman tells someone near the case to slice a half a pound. I guess he’s the boss. He smiles as we watch the rest of his crew cleaning up for quitting time.

                              Slingshot of hanger wire—
                                         my butcher swears
                              he’s deadeye dick for rats

INSIDE THE PARK

My head falls off

                               & twenty-four strokes

Of your body later


I’m still trying to tell

                               you to stop

But I can’t


My head in your lap

                     A Deaf Mute

In ecstasy


You’re rolling it back & forth

                               “What’d I do?”

But my head’s really rolling down

The road trying to catch its breath

 
 
 
previous page     contents     next page

 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home