20071007

Julian Jason Haladyn


Dog and Elephant

I come to you as folly to the world
dressed as I am in nothing but words

articles on my appearance are easy to find
in newspapers and on the back of exit signs

trees are obstacles that fabricate noises at night
and hide elephants all winter long

politically or otherwise my language can see
the unrelenting obstacles of serious encounters

cartoon moment follow my presence
through subway tunnels into abandoned rooms

the hotel bill for this room is quite steep
likely because of the imaginary coin collection

that I stole one cold evening
dogs imprinted on each of the silver sides

they should be part of the general welcome package
along with a free picture with an elephant

these are the rules of my game
visitation is permitted only if you have a dog

I am not making this up
The dogs keep the elephants off the lawn



Julian Jason Haladyn's poems and short stories have appeared in, among others, Elimae, Identity Theory, Istanbul Literature Review, Laika Poetry Review, Nthposition, and Otoliths, as well as the collection Nuit Blanche: Poetry for Late Nights (Toronto: Royal Sarcophagus Society Press, 2007). His first poetry book, titled 17/13, was published in September 2007 by Blue Medium. He has also published collaborative critical articles and reviews with Miriam Jordan, including a chapter in Stanley Kubrick: Essays on His Films and Legacy (McFarland and Company 2007).

 
 
 
previous page     contents     next page

 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home