20090729

Bobbi Lurie


too much light


I wake

to a late autumn of dark birds



calling me to veer toward

the terrible



nothing

but



this wordless chill

musty scent



the horizon line and the sky’s

loneliness.



My son reads sermons of pain.

I explain his words to him



as we

sit and speak



the scent of urine rising from beautiful steps

safeguarding the ruins



of a changeless future

same bruised body sobbing no longer as in childhood



but made mild by the torment, the lost beauty

and the dutiful who continue to move



in some domestic scene

they have reason for.



I chose instead the love of a child

and hide my face in my son’s shirt



as if flannel can handle

what early isolation brings.



Bobbi Lurie's work, in various media, can be found in issues #8, #9, #10, #11,#12, & #13 of Otoliths. She also did the cover for this issue.


   
 
 
previous page     contents     next page

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home