20140929

Leny M. Strobel



  I

  Not You?

  Not We?

  Why not?

  Therefore,

  Unfrack me.




  Forgot

  Amnesia
  Anesthetic
  Distract me

  I am emptied

  In spite of my
  Mastery

  Refill me with
  Plastic toys


  Plasticity

  As in plastic

  Oil

  Fossil fuel
  Aged in billions

  Extracted for profits

  Fracked with toxic
  effects



  Recognition

  Whose?

  Why?

  Do I want your
  recognition?

  No.

  I do not surrender to
  your gaze.





A Process Note:
Meditating on the title of the poem, the word that stood out for me is plasticity. Plastic. Oil. Fossil fuel. Resource Extraction. Fracking. Fracked World. As we have lived in the Empire of oil in the past century and have reaped its supposed benefits, it is also beginning to dawn on us that we have exceeded the limits of what the Earth can provide in its own biological time. Paul Erhlich in Human Natures writes that our cultural evolution has outpaced the biological evolution of the Earth. So here we are: our capacity for recognition filtered thru plasticity becomes a way to Forgetting.

Eileen conjures images in this poem that speak of both the light and dark of recognition. There is Beauty still in spite of the shadows. But with bombs falling on Iraq and Gaza, I am filled with Grief. And I pray for Rain.

—12 AUG 2014


 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home