20170723

John Levy



My Wife


My wife is painting
the ocean. It,

the ocean, looks
real

sort of, on the
watercolor

paper
because

she (my
wife, not

the ocean)
is excellent.

I
can't

judge

the ocean.



Nine Lines of Mine from Nine Poems


Where'd I put my sentence? My head filled and
They felt they had to enter. Everyone else did.

Why tell me about them and expect me to laugh?

Each weighs a ton and offers
dark scenes, ugliness. Sometimes

I'd look out

out of a hidden place
Orange hem of morning and evening

that come to us weathered and rich



On the side of


the metal drawer (beige) of
my filing cabinet a
sticker (paper) that says


  WE HOPE YOU ENJOY THE
QUALITY OF THIS PRODUCT
        INSPECTED BY 767
                       1192-92


and yes, I even enjoy
the line breaks on the sticker, not
to mention the spacing that
seems

not totally utilitarian

and I wonder
if 767, the inspector, is
a man or a woman and is
still alive

and if
he or she was the one
who glued this
little label in such an unobtrusive

place
so far from
a child's
dreams of

posterity


Misplaced X-Ray of My Head


It was big, that
piece of film, in a slightly bigger
envelope. I thought I'd keep it
because I like skulls
and did way back before they
decorated everything from t-shirts to
almost anything else for sale. Maybe

it will turn up someday, in one of the boxes of
almost everything I've ever owned. It's a wobbly
negative
heavier than a giant
birthday card. If I don't find it before I die
my wife or children will, maybe

laughing (lovingly I hope) at all
the shit I kept — and now THIS? —
after they open the
huge envelope and find what is no
greeting card
I'd choose to send them.



Annette


I open a Giacometti book
randomly and find
"Portrait of Annette" 1954
Oil on canvas
and feel
speechless
looking at her

sitting nude, on a
chair, as modest
a pose as possible
nude
serious
and his repeated
lines
struggle and focus

on a planet
that might as well have no name
or words
for now
as now
vibrates



John Levy lives in Tucson, Arizona. He is a lawyer who worked as a County Public Defender before retiring in 2016. He has published a handful of books, some of which are electronic books.
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home