20200529

Zebulon Huset


Selfhood: A Recipe

Extract self—
               it's simpler than assumptions
    might paint as its portrait:

                              a dotted line drawing

disproportionately absence:
                                                            the (non) point.
Excision adjacent
                              but so so wasteful.

Recycle self—
               reduced to usefulness
                              you will find so many
    applications for bits
                                             never before necessary

               once their bullion
is boiled to gelatin
                              and hollow calcium.



[semantic satiation | sensory deprivation]
“ I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I. ”
Said aloud it loses meaning and becomes less a signifier and more a primal hymn. Less a self and entirely a hum. Written in blackness, they feel like prison bars.




Zebulon Huset is a teacher, writer and photographer living in San Diego. His writing has recently appeared in Meridian, The Southern Review, Mortar Magazine, Fence, Rosebud, Atlanta Review, Texas Review and Fjords Review among others. He publishes a writing prompt blog Notebooking Daily and is the editor of the journal Coastal Shelf.
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home