20211116

Joe Balaz and Mary Ellen Derwis


Mary Ellen Derwis                          
CATCHING JAVELINS Debating wit her is like catching javelins but I do appreciate da energy coming at me. Wun timid person she is not and dat suits me just fine. I tink I’ll send wun shot ovah her bow just to let her know dat I’m still breathing. In da past she accused me of carpet bombing. I no deny dis. I have even been known to scream like wun banshee and bite da heads off of rats to get results. Wun pensive sensitive approach wuzn’t always my forte. In da old arms race dat followed we both went nuclear and da big mushroom clouds have taken awhile to disappear. Dat we can even be friends today is wun mystery in itself. Maybe all of dat poetic radioactivity mutated our brains and gave us wun sense of wisdom. Possibly but it’s not like we stay chanting mystic oms or sharing scriptures wit each adah. At dis morning’s coffee shop get togettah I notice dat she’s wearing wun double-sided holster just like I am wit two loaded six-shooters ready foa action. Deah might be anadah OK Corral hullabaloo wit wun lively word exchange but at least da bullets not lethal. Nowadays we’re able to just let ‘um bounce off of our chests like two supah heroes who have somehow managed to live wit da kryptonite.
                                                                                                                                                                              Many Moons Ago YOU AND I I’m out of da blue Pacific and you from da land of da cougar’s tail lake entwined wit ocean hammer in creation and inspiration to nail. Wit wun lucky strut or disastrous gallop I see you through da panoramic blinds curtain on my ideas, spotlight on your stage, from time to time in dese exhilarating times. Broken smile and magnificent frown in competition all da while seemingly advancing da vanguard is receding to question every inch and every mile. We float in clouds of plenty we sink in rivahs of rain glorious suffering and mournful joy dished out in handfuls of stratospheric pain. Da speed is cosmic and far reaching da internal travel is turtled and slow sun in da winter, moon in da summer, footprints in sand and impressions in snow. Da leaves fall and we spring forth reasons seasoned to change rearranged in motion wit wun silent commotion da destination attainable and in range. Still we rumble and crumble tossed and torn like fragile kites above da ground and beneath da sky lightning flashing, and thundah clashing, wun swirl of complexity you and I.
Mary Ellen Derwis is a photo artist, painter, and video film artist. Some of her photo art is archived at the Avant-garde Writing Collection at Ohio State University. She is coauthor, with Joe Balaz, of Expanding the Radius, a book of visual poetry and photo art published by Otoliths Press. Derwis lives in Haymarket, Virginia.

 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home