20230615

Joe Balaz


TELL ME ABOUT IT

UNEXPECTED FINS AND SCALES I’m heading to the Church of Never-ending Doubt to play bingo. Maybe I’ll get lucky with the seemingly random numbers. Actually all good fortune is on a grid of gravity in tandem with a beam of light that is expanding faster than the edge of the universe. That’s what I think anyway so I’m going to wish for a bright portion of that light and the calling out of digits that are positive. I have a special fondness for the number 22. I wouldn’t mind being 22 again but alas unless science finds a back door that I can slide into to visit my youth I’ll just smile with remembrance if that number is verbalized to fill out my card. I’m sitting on an uncomfortable pew though because a faceless nonentity with a monotone voice continues to announce numbers that are evasive rabbits drawn from a small black hat. Hopping somewhere else to someone else’s shout of “bingo” is beginning to try my patience. I think I’ll leave and grab my fishing pole. A change of activity might alter my relativity. I’ll see what I can catch in the pond of unexpected fins and scales. STARING INTO HIS MORNING COFFEE Round helium fantasies were rising to the full moon while Neil Armstrong ate his cheese burrito and stepped on a lunar crack breaking his mother’s back. She was unhappy in traction but laughed at the reaction when her doctor slipped on a banana peel as all the preceding balloons continued to float in the scenario. In the air there too drifting along in a stratified haze was a vibrant double helix winding and binding like Felix that wonderful, wonderful cat, with mischief twirling in his paws. The double helix was inside a big blue blimp as Felix chased a rat with a limp up and down a spiral staircase. Inflated condoms blown in by a hot wind suddenly joined the aerial parade and dipped and swayed like a cloud of blackbirds forming a big amoeba in the sky. Behind the changing silver lining a yellow dirigible full of musical crickets navigated the popular airwaves while singing a bulldog song above a sea of green. Out on the waiting horizon beyond the wandering mass of elevated absurdity a giant pen reached up into the atmosphere and began popping all of the passing floatables like it was bursting soap bubbles. Ernie thought of all of this staring into his morning coffee before he headed to class on his first day of creative writing unsure and wondering if he could come up with something.
Joe Balaz writes in American English and in Hawaiian Islands Pidgin (HIP). He is a writer, visual artist, and freelance improv musician, who has created works in poetry, visual poetry, and music poetry. Balaz has been published nationally and internationally. He is the author of Pidgin Eye, a book of poetry, and he is also the editor of 13 Miles from Cleveland, an online literary, art, and music magazine. Balaz presently lives in Cleveland, Ohio.
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home