20230612

Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal


As I Age After Paul Eluard At five I knew not of tenderness, I did not cradle, I tore to shreds as children do. I cared to finish first at the kitchen table for fear I would be last. Winning was happiness. Now patience is my greatest of loves. As I age I visit the child of my memories. Being old I cannot diminish that child or the confidence we each lacked.
When I Am Dust When I am dust my shoulder pain will end. The weight on each shoulder will have faded. There will be flies at my funeral, large black flies and none will not care. My despair- ing will stop. I won’t take up much space. The street where I lived won’t miss me. There will be no more wandering. All matters of the heart will cease. There will be no more dances with hope.
Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal lives in California and works in the mental health field in Los Angeles. His work has appeared in Blue Collar Review, Kendra Steiner Editions, Otoliths, Unlikely Stories, and Yellow Mama Magazine.
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home