20230716

Jessica Dejanovic


Higgs Boson

I've lived in a lot of places
and yet
whenever I read a book or hear a story, I picture them all occurring 
in my grandmother's old house. 
An old three-bedroom brick house 
commissioned by the government. 
Finishes change but it's the same long hallway
same living/dining
same kitchen tucked around the corner.
I look out the back window and I see different hills and mountains and scorched earth. 
Sometimes a staircase appears that does not go anywhere just spirals up or down 
into a second or third story that doesn't exist in this world. 
Old unvarnished floorboards appear to shimmer, and wallpaper covers yellowing paint.
Lighting flickers, and grime can collect along the floorboards. 
The walls expanding and contracting with the breath of the storyteller,
transforming to meet that universe. 
I learn the characters names and stories in this home that I walked through so many times. 
Maybe it is not that the characters exist in this house, 
in some alternate universe. 
Maybe it's passing through that house that gives them weight.  



how you do one thing is how you do everything

sometimes I order the worst thing on a 
menu 
just so it feels 
wanted. 



Jessica Dejanovic is a writer and artist exploring topics of love, death, motherhood and the search for meaning. With a keen interest in the natural world and broader Universe, Jessica lives in Meanjin with her husband and rescue toy Fox Terrier.
 
 
previous page     contents     next page
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home