20110525

Anny Ballardini


DARK WAS THE NIGHT
COLD WAS THE GROUND


                               (Blind Willie Johnson)


I, the daughter, have to die

Having you, Father, stopped breathing

I do not want to cry



& keep going back to bide

To when you are still ailing

I, the daughter, have to die



My Father’s swing’s on the blues’ side

Charlie Patton, Willie Johnson Blind

I don’t wanna cry



Best singer of liturgical hymn, thy

Word is fed by white Christly faith in

I, the daughter, who fatherless must die



Of mounts and deer the soulful sky

Miles walked, worker, giver, oxen

Without you, I can’t but cry



Although far, severed, unclear, high

No one to defy, world out of my skin

I, the daughter, must die

I do not want to cry



Anny Ballardini edits Poet’s Corner, an online poetry site; and writes a blog: Narcissus Works. She has translated several contemporary poets into Italian and English. Her collections of poetry: Opening and Closing Numbers, was published by Moria Press in 2005; Ghost Dance in 33 Movements by Otoliths appeared in print in 2009.

 
 
previous page     contents     next page

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Obododimma Oha said...

Reminds me of my late father. His going helped me to grow up and to realize the necessity of continuing the relay race. I don't want to be the weak link in the chain: living his memory means rolling up my sleeves, standing chest out, and ready to die working for my family.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Anny Ballardini said...

Thank you, Obododimma. You are a great man, a great father to your children, and a good friend to me.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home